How do I know if my Giving Basket donation has been sent to or received by the nonprofit?
This FAQ addresses Give Lively’s role in processing donations through Charity Navigator’s Giving Basket and may not apply to all Give Lively members.
Charity Navigator’s Giving Basket allows donors to contribute to multiple nonprofits all in one transaction. Due to the complex nature of such transactions, there is a delay between when your donation is SENT to the nonprofit and when it is RECEIVED. The following article is divided into two sections to address the details of the disbursement process, from sending to receiving.
If you represent a nonprofit, read more about how long it takes to receive donations made through the Giving Basket.
How do I know if my donation has been sent to the nonprofit?
When initial processing of your donation is complete, Give Lively, the tech company that powers the Giving Basket, does two things:
- It prepares to disburse your donation(s) to the nonprofit(s) you support. It may still take some time for this process to take place and for the nonprofit(s) to receive the funds. Learn more about that here.
- It emails you a receipt detailing your donation(s). This receipt, which can be used for tax purposes, is confirmation that your payment has been processed and preparation is being made for its disbursement. Double-check your spam folder if you have not received an email receipt within one week of your donation. If you still can’t find the email receipt, contact Give Lively support.
Important notes about payment methods
It can take from a few minutes to a week between when you make your donation and when the email receipt is sent, depending on the payment method you use.
- Credit and debit card donations are usually processed within minutes. You can confirm this directly by checking your card account for a “Giving Basket donation” charge.
- Paypal donations may take a little longer, but are also usually processed quickly. PayPal will also show a “Giving Basket donation” charge once it has been processed.
- ACH/direct debit donations can take up to seven business days for the bank to process. Shortly after you submit your bank donation, we will send you an automatic email confirmation that your donation is pending, but this is not a tax receipt. Once your bank donation has worked through the system, your bank statement will show a “Giving Basket donation” debit.
Important notes about payment notation
- The “Giving Basket donation” notation on credit card, PayPal and bank statements does not signify that your donation was retained by Charity Navigator or Give Lively. The details on your email receipt will make clear that the funds you donated have indeed been directed to the nonprofit(s) you support.
- In select circumstances, funds must first pass through the Give Lively Foundation, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization that makes it possible for donors to contribute to nearly any 501(c)(3) nonprofit in the United States. When this is the case, it will be listed on your receipt as a "Donation to <Nonprofit Name>, Directed through the Give Lively Foundation” with the EIN of the Give Lively Foundation. Otherwise, when the nonprofit is a Give Lively member, this donation will be listed on your receipt as a “Donation to <Nonprofit Name>” with the EIN of the nonprofit you supported.
When will my donation be received by the nonprofit?
Donations made through the Giving Basket, powered by Give Lively, will be disbursed one of two ways:
- For nonprofits that are (a) not a Give Lively member nonprofit, (b) a Give Lively member without a Stripe account in good standing or (c) receiving donations made via PayPal: A check will be mailed to a nonprofit within 30 days of the close of the month in which the donation was made and if the total value of waiting funds for that nonprofit equals $10 or more. For example, a nonprofit with more than $10 of donations made in March will be mailed a check before the end of April. For donation totals of less than $10, once additional donations push the value over $10, a check will be cut during that month’s processing.
- Nonprofits that are Give Lively members: A direct bank deposit will be sent within 30 days of the close of the month in which the donation was made. Each transfer takes 2-7 business days from the time it is initiated. There is no minimum threshold amount.