Prepare for Salesforce integration set-up
What you need to know and do in preparation for a Give Lively Salesforce integration.
Before You Get Started
To set up for your Salesforce integration, please carefully review and prepare the following.
Ensure that the integrating user has the following permissions
- "Read, Create and Edit" permissions on Account, Contacts, Campaigns, Opportunities, Payments objects
- "Read and Edit" access to ALL FIELDS on the objects that Give Lively writes to or uses in matching (refer to this article)
- Access to the appropriate Record Types on the aforementioned objects
- "Read/Write" access to any Account and Contact record that should be considered for matching and which is associated with a gift synced from Give Lively, or View All and Modify All permissions
- "Read/Write" access to all Opportunity records created by the integration (in case Owner is subsequently changed) or View All and Modify All permissions
- "Read/Write" access to all Campaign records created by the integration (in case Owner is subsequently changed) or View All and Modify All permissions
- API Enabled permission granted via Profile or Permission set
- Marketing User = TRUE on own User Record
Other essential considerations
- The integrating user should ideally be configured to have a non-expiring password, and will need to remain active in Salesforce as long as the Give Lively integration is in use. The user email should be evergreen, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org. Here is an excellent article by Salesforce about creating a Dedicated Salesforce Integration User.
- The Give Lively integration is not currently compatible with NPSP’s native “State and Country Picklists” feature. If you have State and Country Picklist enabled, you must disable this feature prior to establishing the integration.
- Our integration attempts to match a Give Lively donor to an existing Contact in your Salesforce organization based on the email in the standard Email field. (This will be the value in the email field marked as preferred in NPSP.) If an exact match is not found, a new Contact is created. Currently this is the only option for Contact matching.
- If you are using Salesforce's built-in duplicate matching rules, we strongly recommend that you create an exception for Give Lively's data sync.
- At this time, P2P donations will not soft credit the fundraiser.
- ACH/bank account donations will not sync or be recorded in the sync logs until the transaction has successfully been processed by the donor’s bank.
- If you have GAU Allocations enabled in your production org, be sure to re-open the GAU Allocations page in your sandbox(es) before attempting to sync test donations. Go to NPSP Settings Tab > Donations > GAU Allocations. Simply opening the page will clear any invalid entries carried over from your production org, thus preventing errors.